Ode to a bigot

This is how alchemy works.

The merest thought of you
whips me into a frenzy
and gives me the energy
to do the things
that I should do out of love
but don’t.
For my laziness I am ashamed to say
holds far greater sway
than my love.

I look at your ugly face
Not the face you were born with
But the face you made.
I look at your ugly face
and want to help rescue kittens.

I hear your hateful voice
Not your voice
But the things you voice
and I want to help rescue
refugees thousands of miles away
whose plight
is a direct result
of the hatred you manifest.

The poison you spew
opens up my clogged arteries
and flushes out accumulations
of years of gluttony.

Your diatribes
are like ice cold water
on my sleepy face
waking me up
from my drunken slumber.

Humanity
could very well be
an experiment gone horribly wrong
if it lets bigots like you
hold so much power
and attract
hordes of angry followers.
But I am
putting on my apron
stained and full of
acid holes of my own mistakes
even as all my demons
tug at my feet and try and stop me.
But I am putting on my apron
and mixing
what little love and compassion I can rummage
and pouring it
into the cesspool

that you are creating.

Comments

AbFab said…
Loved it!! This is very profound Ashwin. You should submit this to Poetry Society!
Mek543 said…
Very insightful, Ashvin! Your poetry is so very profound!

Popular Posts