The Edge

When life keeps confronting you with certain situations over and over that ask you to stretch your limits, you wonder if it is an inducement to learn and grow :)
Norman Mailer said something like "There is this law in life so cruel and yet so just - Change, else pay dearly the price for remaining the same". I do wish that growth or pushing one's edge was not such a struggle though :)
But I think Nisargadatta put this very succinctly - "The mind creates the abyss. The heart crosses it".

The Edge

My heart like the tide
shrinks and grows.
So I waited till high tide
and said
“This is it.
I cannot open any further.
This, is where I draw the line”.
And ego relieved,
sprouted a barbed wire fence.
And life laughed at me
“You say you want the infinite
and still draw boundaries!
You think this
is your limit?
This, is precisely
where I want you to grow”.
“But there is a barbed wire fence in the way”, I said
“And the sand below is covered with thorns
both my heart and my feet
will be bruised and bleeding”.
And life said
“There is no hurry.
I will keep tossing the ball to you
and you will keep crashing against the fence
until it hurts so much
that you take it down
and move it
a little further”.

Comments

Popular Posts